There are 2 Discussions forms and 4 Quizzes in this question.
1. Using AT LEAST TWO (2) documents from Chapter 9 of SFA, explain where or not industrialization helped to improve the lives of American women. Did industrialization lead to more freedom, opportunity, and/or equality? Why or why not?
2. Refer to pp. 331 of your SFA text to address this forum. In 1857 the Supreme Court handed down the Dred Scott decision. What does this decision imply when it comes to where slavery is LEGAL and where it is ILLEGAL? Moreover, what will this do to the growing divide in the nation with respect to slavery? Please be specific.
1. (Take help from document entitled “Federalist No. 10” for this question.)
According to the author, James Madison, what causes “factions” and why are they dangerous? Moreover, why does Madison think it makes sense to have a strong central government?
2. (Use the document entitled “Morals of the Manufacturers” to answer this question.)
Why do you think Martineau was concerned with the morals of the factory owners? Did their morals, or lack thereof, contradict any principles of the American political consciousness? Please be as specific as possible.
3. (Use the document entitled “Gettysburg Address” to answer this question.)
How did the Gettysburg Address change the nature and purpose of the Civil War? Please be as specific as possible.
4. Thomas Nast was a political cartoonist during the Civil War era. Click on the links below to help you complete the quiz. What do you think the author/artist was trying to convey with respect to the process of Reconstruction? Please be as specific as possible.