You are required to answer ONE question in each section. Be sure to include as many details and historical specifics as possible to support your answer. Each answer should be 3-5 paragraphs in length (a complete essay with an intro, body, and conclusion). You must use citations and include course materials to support your response. Questions come directly from our course readings and materials.
Section 1: Answer ONE
1. How did Andrew Jackson change the office of the presidency? Who benefited under Jacksonian democracy? Who suffered?
2. Would the Industrial Revolution in the early 19th century have been possible without the use of slave labor? Why or why not?
3. What were the aims of the women’s movement of the 19th century? How successful were women in the achieving of these goals?
4. What arguments and strategies did the abolitionists use in their struggle to end slavery? Who opposed them and why?
1. How did plantation crops and the slavery system change between 1800 and 1860? Why did these changes occur?
2. Why did the North prevail in the Civil War? What might have turned the tide of the war against the North?
3. What role did women and African Americans play in the Civil War?
4. In 1860, the institution of slavery was firmly entrenched in the United States; by 1865, it was dead. How did this happen? How did Union policy toward slavery and enslaved people change over the course of the war? Why did it change?